Thursday, December 08, 2005

Popeye Uncle

Hubby sent his car for service last weekend. The taukeh of the workshop is a China Ah Pek; he likes to chit-chat with hubby whenever hubby goes to his workshop; any topic also he can join in. Here is the conversation between them last week. Ah Pek : eh, will you go KL recently? Hubby : nope. Why? Ah Pek : need your help to buy something for me. Hubby: what’s that? Let me know first, if I go then I buy lor. Ah Pek : Harry Potter book. Hubby: huh? “Eye rolls “(he said if got water in his mouth, sure he will split out) Ah Pek : I cannot find it in local book store le. Hubby very surprise when the Ah Pek say want to read Harry Potter book. Reason is this Ah Pek not understand English, neither speak in English too! He wonders how he read the book. But hubby did not ask him further as he scare later he might think hubby look down him. I ever met this Ah Pek before, most of the time he spoke hokkien to me but I reply him in mandarin because my hokkien half pail water one. When I imagine this Ah Pek squatting in front of his workshop, reading the Harry Potter with one smoking pipe in his mouth, I just couldn’t hold my laugh! LOL…btw, Wien always called this Ah Pek as Popeye Uncle due to his smoking pipe…. But at the same time, we also feel shameful la, till now we yet to read any series of Harry Potter book!

6 comments:

Annie said...

May be he's not getting for himself leh...for his son or grandson?? err, i also never touch any of the series before wor...just not interested.

Egghead said...

he is UK-born-chinese Ah Pek lah... maybe he rich enough to find someone to translate for him... or he wanna give grandchild as present :P

Jess said...

annie:
he said he wanna READ le! aiyo, me & hubby so bad laugh behind him! 罪过罪过!

egghead:
mayb u r rite, get someone to translate for him!

Sue said...

erm... maybe got Chinese version Harry Potter books? hehehe... perhaps he's getting it for someone as a Christmas prezzie

ZMM said...

They have Chinese version of Harry Potter ler. Can get from Popular, or Pasar Malam (pirated but cheaper). At least in KL they have.

Jess said...

Sue & Zara's mama:
got chinese version meh? I din know dat! will check it out then!
Tks for the info...