Monday, July 23, 2007

The Meaning of R.S.V.P.

Previously I do not what is the meaning of RSVP. I will feel puzzled whenever I saw those wording in the wedding or birthday invitation. Also, I am not bothered to ask and find out the answer. I only knew the first word should refer to RESERVED, the rest I don’t know…..Lazy me....

Only very lately, I try to google it from internet. Here I got the answer:

**The term R.S.V.P. comes from the French expression "répondez s'il vous plaît", meaning "please respond".**

This is due to the hosts often do not receive firm confirmation from guests whether to attend their party or not, even if R.S.V.P. is clearly printed on the invitation. This could mean either one of two things. First it could mean that rudeness is a growing trend in our society and they not bother to respond you. Or, I think those people no longer understand what the term means.

So now, if you receive any invitation, please do respond to the host ya! Don’t keep them waiting.

0 comments: