Saturday, July 14, 2007

Prevent home fires

When you have kids at home, you got to watch out them to play with fire.

All sorts of things can cause residential fires — from cigarettes and candles to space heaters and wood stoves. Prevent home fires by taking the following steps:

* Be careful with cigarettes. Quitting smoking can protect both your health and your home. Both for the sake of safety and health, never smoke inside your home or car, and especially not in bed.

* Supervise young children. In addition to possibly playing with fire, unattended children can accidentally start fires by attempting to cook or by using a heater or electrical appliance in the wrong way.

* Use space heaters with care. Keep the heater at least three feet away from bedding, drapes, furniture or other flammable materials. Never leave a space heater on when you go to sleep or leave the room.

* Enjoy candles cautiously. Before you leave a room where candles are burning, make sure you extinguish them completely, and don't leave a candle burning when you fall asleep. Use sturdy candleholders on uncluttered surfaces in places where children or pets can't knock them over.